Uganda Tourism Seeks New Logo
In a renewed effort to rebrand Uganda, known around the globe as ‘The Pearl of Africa’, after quietly discarding an earlier slogan coined in the middle of the last decade ‘Uganda – Gifted by Nature’, is the Ministry of Tourism in conjunction with the Uganda Tourism Board now unfolding a campaign for a new logo.
A competition has been launched by the Ministry, inviting the general public, artists, branding and PR experts, to put forward a winning design, for which then a prize of Uganda Shillings 10 million awaits the creator or creating team. Prerequisite though to the task will be meeting the various expectations outlined by the organizers, as described in their publicity material: ‘The logo should capture the emotive concepts behind the Ugandan visitor experience. It should convey the special character of Uganda, which visitors have described using words and phrases such as cultural diversity, variety of activities and attractions including; beautiful beaches and landscapes, clean fresh air, relaxed and friendly people, beautiful national parks, diversity of bird life, unique heritage, arts and craft, pottery and delicious local food’.
Entry into the competition is free of charge and notably can participants come from not only Uganda but the region or the world at large, making certain that only the best will come into the final selection.
The following key criteria for submission of proposals are important to note:
Hard copy submissions should be clearly marked ‘The Pearl of Africa Logo Design Competition Entry’ and be delivered to:
The Ministry Of Tourism, Wildlife and Antiquities
P.O Box 4241 Kampala
2nd Floor Rwenzori Towers,
Plot 6 Nakasero Road
Uganda Tourism Board Offices at the National Theatre
Electronic submissions should be sent to: utb,pearlofafricalogo
1. Entries will be received from 20th January 2014 to 21st February 2014 from 8:00am to 5:00pm for hard copy submissions and 8:00am to 12:00am (midnight) of 21st February for electronic submissions, Ugandan or East African Standard Time. No submissions will be accepted after the deadline.
2. The judges will only consider submissions officially received and acknowledged. The committee will not be liable for lost mail or bounced electronic submissions.
3. All Logos submitted should be ORIGINAL and MUST NOT have been submitted for any other competition or to any other organisation.
4. Members of staff and family members of Ministry of Tourism, Wildlife and Antiquities, affiliated institutions, members of the panel of judges and the organizing committee are INELIGIBLE to compete.
5. Solicitation of any kind of the panel of judges or other individuals involved in the competition will lead to automatic disqualification.
By Atta Media Contact Dr. Wolfgang H. Thome