Just south of the equator, Zanzibar follows a similar weather pattern to Tanzania but, being an island, has a more humid climate. May - August enjoys the south easterly trade winds making it cooler but sunshine is never in short supply apart from in April & May when there can be periods of longer spells of rain and cloud cover.
Peak temperatures can hit 40°C in January & February. Hot and humid
June - October Lovely long sunny days between 36 - 38 °C. Best time for scuba diving.
April & May welcomes the rainy season with a fresh, average daytime temperature of 24°C. November into December expects the short rains
Dates for the diary
Zanzibar COVID Protocols
Zanzibar (Direct Arrivals) COVID-19 Travel Protocols
Updated: 05 September 2022
- All travellers (incl. children) must complete a Travellers Surveillance Form, to be submitted within 24 hrs before arrival. Upon submission you will receive a Unique Health Code which will be requested during primary screening.
- Travellers fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine and accompanying certificate including QR code no longer need to provide a PCR test
- Unvaccinated travellers (5yrs and below) are required to take a PCR test taken 72 hrs before arrival into Tanzania
- Travellers who were infected and recovered from COVID 19 shall be required to submit a proof of recovering from the disease obtained from Authorised Medical personnel upon arrival to Tanzania.
- Presentation of Covid-19 certificate / QR code & health screening.
- The cost of a Rapid Antigen test on arrival into Zanzibar is US$25. Travellers are advised to pay for COVID-19 rapid test online to avoid unnecessary queues upon arrival.
- Travellers entering Tanzania through Zanzibar with proof of being fully vaccinated using vaccine accepted by RGZ will be exempted from Rapid Antigen Test. Click HERE & HERE for the updated list of countries for Rapid Antigen Test & accepted COVID 19 vaccines.
- All travellers who arrived through Zanzibar from COVID-19 high risk countries & wish to visit Tanzania mainland within 14 days from the date of arrival will be required to present a -ve Rapid Antigen Test certificate obtained during entry, otherwise they will be subjected to Rapid Antigen Test at Points of Entry.
- Travellers testing +ve must isolate for 14 days or until they test -ve (RT-PCR test) & will be under strict surveillance procedures.
Dependent on airline / transit point / final destination
Useful links and documents