The climate is warm and dry for most of the year with plenty of sunshine, cool nights and mornings. Being equatorial the annual temperature variation is not as marked as those on greater latitides however there is still a variation of weathre throughout the year to be prepared for. Turkana is one of the hottest regions and the Aberdare's the coolest. Average daily temperature in Nairobi is 20.5 °C (69 °F)
Hot and Dry
Mid December - February
Water clarity on the coast is at its best
Cooler and Dry
June - October
Temperatures in early mornings around 10°C up to 28°C at midday
March, April and May
Cooler with longer grasses by May.
Excellent Photographic Light
November - Mid December
Unpredictable, celebrated by heavy bursts
Did you know? Before the wildebeest migration became a New Wonder of the World and heavily marketed, January was the most popular months for travellers to visit.
Kenya Tourism Board Contact Information
Kenya COVID Protocols
Kenya COVID-19 Travel Protocols
Pre Departure Requirements
- All travellers to Kenya must be fully vaccinated unless meeting the exemption criteria
- Fully vaccinated travellers are exempt from PCR testing.
- Unvaccinated travellers 12yrs+ must take a valid PCR test conducted within 72hrs before departure.
- All travellers must obtain their visa in advance, online via: www.evisa.go.ke.
- Travellers with flu like symptoms are expected to self-monitor and report daily through the jitenge platform for their first 14 days in Kenya and will be required to take a rapid antigen test on arrival at a cost of USD30. Any positive results will require a further PCR Test at a cost of USD50 and required to self isolate
- All travellers require a Covid-19 vaccination certificate.
- PCR tests are not required unless specified by the airline / final destination.
UPDATED 16 September 2022
Useful links and documents